- CBD salve is a thick and oily formulation used to apply the therapeutic compound – CBD – onto the skin.
- Apart from CBD, salves usually include natural wax and a fatty oil as a base to help CBD better penetrate the skin.
- CBD salves are used to fight discomfort, reduce symptoms of several skin conditions, and improve signs of aging by fighting free radicals.
- Although topical application of CBD is generally safe and can be used daily, it’s better to test a salve to ensure there is no allergic reaction before applying it to the affected area.
- The absorption time can vary somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour, with first effects kicking in 4-5 hours after application.
- CBD products with THC content below or equal to 0.3% are federally legal, though state restrictions may apply.
- When buying a CBD salve, make sure to check it for THC content, other ingredients, third-party test results, and brand authenticity.
Looking for new ways to enjoy a CBD product? Capsules, gummies, creams, balms, lotions, and salves – you name it!
CBD is growing in popularity, and for good reasons. A few studies indicate the benefits of CBD for skin and general well-being.
As such, more people are trying out new CBD products.
Brands aren’t slowing down either; with every passing month, we have a new CBD-based item on the market.
Since people’s preferences differ on how they want to reap the benefits of CBD, companies have a reason to create a pool of products.
Currently, CBD salves are becoming widely popular among avid CBD users. If you do not like the taste of hemp, perhaps you’d prefer the topical application, and CBD salve might serve the purpose.
We’ll uncover everything about CBD salves in the guide below!
- What Is CBD Salve?
- Uses and Benefits of CBD Salve
- Potential Side Effects
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- What to Look for When Buying
What Is CBD Salve?
I bet you’ve heard about CBD creams and lotions, but what is a CBD salve?
Generally, salves, balms, and ointments are the terms used interchangeably, and so, there’s no real distinguishing among them all.
In simple words, a salve refers to a medicine-infused formulation where one applies the medicine – CBD in this case – onto the skin.
Talking about CBD in particular, the main difference lies in the base ingredient. For instance, CBD creams and lotions utilize moisturizing agents and water in their bases. On the flip side, balms and salves use wax or fatty oils for the base – excluding water.
For the most part, Salves differ in their texture from creams and lotions; the former is thicker and oily.
The thing is, you can prepare one at your home too. If you go online, you’ll find plenty of sources about ‘DIY CBD salves.’
Most of them are similar in that they include the following ingredients.
- A therapeutic or medical compound – hemp extract in this case.
- Natural wax – preferably beeswax
- A fatty oil as a base, consider almond oil, for instance.
The fatty oil base is an essential ingredient. Why? Because it encourages CBD absorption onto your skin. So, the higher the fatty acid content, the better the CBD penetrates your skin.
Make sure you choose the oil wisely. Coconut oil and almond oil are standard in most premium products, explaining why they might work better than the rest.
Uses and Benefits of CBD Salve
Several studies discuss the pain-relieving properties of CBD. But is it the same for a CBD salve? Well, of course.
Let’s find out more about the benefits of CBD salves.
We all experience discomfort in our muscles, joints, and nerves time and again. Maybe because we’re overworked or stressed, or perhaps it’s the age factor contributing to it.
Research suggests that CBD can help reduce discomfort. Another animal study published in the European Journal of Pain shows that CBD can inhibit inflammation. A few studies also indicate how CBD lowers neuropathic and inflammatory pain.
Benefits on Skin
While a few of us experience more severe conditions like eczema and psoriasis, acne is one of the most common skin conditions, affecting up to 50 million Americans annually.
Luckily, CBD can reduce the symptoms of acne and may help with symptoms associated with some skin conditions.
Our skin loses collagen – a protein responsible for maintaining a healthy skin structure as we age.
As a result, we experience wrinkles, fine lines, and dark spots. But growing age alone doesn’t affect collagen production; several other factors count.
Improper skincare routine, synthetic products, UV rays from the sun, and environmental stressors can also contribute to wrinkles and fine lines.
Nonetheless, topical application of CBD salves can fight free radicals, improving signs of aging like wrinkles, dull skin, and fine lines.
Potential Side Effects
People willing to try CBD topicals wonder, “Will CBD topicals irritate my skin?”
Fortunately, CBD topicals – including salves – are pretty safe. Though oral consumption might follow up with a few side effects like drowsiness, diarrhea, fatigue, CBD topicals are exempted.
However, observe your skin before application and ensure you do not have any fresh cuts or burns. Otherwise, the topical application will hurt.
Also, if you have a sensitive skin type, it’s best to test a CBD salve before applying it directly to the affected area.
Here’s how you can perform the test.
- Take a dime-sized CBD salve and apply it to the forearm or palm of your hand.
- Leave the product for up to 24 hours.
- If you do not experience irritation, proceed with massaging the product onto the targeted area.
- Avoid using the product and consult your physician in case of irritation or burning.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How Often Should You Apply It?
If you have chronic muscle or joint pain, you can massage a salve regularly. However, if you occasionally experience pain, use the salve when required.
Those who want to utilize it to fight skin aging or other conditions like eczema or psoriasis can also use it daily.
However, we recommend you consult your dermatologist and follow the recommended usage.
How Long Does It Take to Work?
Don’t expect a CBD salve to work magically and reduce pain in the blink of an eye. Realistically speaking, a CBD salve takes as much time as any other pain-alleviating topical might take.
The absorption time can vary somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour.
You’ll begin to feel its effect 4-5 hours after application. However, make sure you massage it properly and onto the target area.
Also, note that the time can differ per your skin type too. That is, it may work faster for some skin types and might take longer for other skin types to reduce pain – just as medicine effects vary based on immunity.
Is It Legal?
“CBD is psychoactive, and it can get you high” is the reason alone why people assume it might be illegal.
The truth is, CBD is not psychoactive. Perhaps this explains why the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved CBD products.
Nonetheless, this approval comes with a few restrictions. For instance, only the products containing 0.3% or less THC are legalized.
As such, most – if not all – reputable brands selling CBD products have THC content below or equal to 0.3%, which makes them legal.
Yes, a fraudulent company might sell a CBD product with high THC content. Maybe this is the reason why the FDA warned a few CBD companies.
Make sure the one you plan to purchase isn’t on the list.
Conclusion? CBD salves are legal.
Is It Safe?
Yes, CBD salves are safe as long as you purchase from a trusted source and the product has more natural ingredients.
Furthermore, it’s best to do a patch test before applying the product to the targeted area.
What to Look for When Buying
CBD Salve relieves pain and soothes your muscles. But there are a couple of essential things you need to look for when buying one.
- THC content. Read the label. Does it say THC 0.3% or below? If yes, you’re good to go. Otherwise, abandon that product right away – particularly if you respect the state laws.
- Ingredients. What does the CBD salve include? Make sure you choose the one with more natural ingredients. Ditch the products based on chemicals. Remember, you have to heal, treat, and soothe your skin, not the other way around.
- Brand. Don’t go for ANY CBD brand out there. Read about the brands and compare them for credibility. Check online reviews to learn about customer satisfaction and product authenticity.
- Third-party tests indicate a pure, quality product. These tests mean a CBD salve doesn’t contain contaminants.
Before buying, looking for these qualities ensures you’re getting a high-quality, safe, and FDA-approved product.
To make the search easier for you, here’s a premium-grade CBD salve:
NV-US Organics CBD Salve
NV-US Organics brings you a premium quality broad-spectrum CBD Salve. The CBD salve is infused with USDA-certified hemp, lavender eucalyptus, organic beeswax, and MCT oil.
The blend of these ingredients soothes your sore muscles, pinched nerves, and aching joints.
Besides alleviating pain, it also reduces mental health disorders’ symptoms and hydrates your skin simultaneously.
What’s more, the product is third-party tested to ensure quality and purity.
Before applying the product, wash the target area and pat dry. Then, take a generous amount of the product and massage it thoroughly.
Sit back and let the salve do its magic.
CBD salve is an answer for all those who are reluctant to take CBD orally.
They are readily available and might help reduce discomfort and alleviate symptoms related to skin conditions.
Moreover, most salves are legal and safe to use, which is a cherry on the top.